Patty McCord, the author of Powerful, a bestselling book released in 2018, shared 8 lessons on how to run a company that people enjoy working for in a recent TED video. It’s a perfect recap of a lot of the ideas from McCord’s book. Check it out below.
Recap of the 8 Lessons from Patty McCord:
- Your employees are adults
- The job of management isn’t to control people, it’s to build great teams
- People want to do work that means something. After they do it, they should be free to move on
- Everyone in your company should understand the business
- Everyone in your company should be able to handle the truth
- Your company needs to live out its values
- All start-up ideas are stupid
- Every company needs to be excited for change
If you haven’t read or heard of Powerful, it’s an incredible read with a lot of great ideas for small and large companies about building a great workplace culture. The entire Xenium book group read it in Spring 2018 for one of our choices. Following the book club discussion, Tyler Meuwissen and I discussed it during a podcast episode. Listen here.